Sunday, October 29, 2006

DIY Guitars

I have just purchased the above "build it yourself" guitar kit. It's based on the Fender Telecaster design, it cost £71, although I will need to buy some proper pickups for it which will cost about £116. Still it will be 'cut price' compared to the real deal which would be around £500.
I have always wanted to give a project like this a go, I can create a truly individual and custom look, I may even consider getting an art student to give it a real custom paint job! Not like any of those grotesque guitars of Steve Vai's though, they would give me headache, my head is awash with ideas, I will post a pic of the finished article when it's done.

5 comments:

Dr.John said...

One look and I know I could never put it together. Good luck. I wait the picture of the finished project.

Ginco said...

Kevin, there's a pretty good saying in German, but unfortunately it won't have the same effect in English - all I can say is, don't make a wrong move, or you'll have to start all over again! LOL!
I'll be lurking for the end result!

Bazza said...

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Anonymous said...

Can I be devil's advocate here?

Doesn't that sort of detract from a musical instrument lovingly made and put together?

Okay, before I am scheduled for another public stoning, I can understand that it is affordable and you will probably put it together with love.

Louisiana said...

what a brilliant idea. a great way to save a few bucks and it's an interesting project as well. well, not for me for i cannot put anything together for sure, lol..

not sure what type of instruments i would end up if you gave me all these pieces.

good luck with this and can't wait to see the finished pic.