Monday, March 08, 2010

Growing Chilli's


For Christmas Amy got me a chilli growing kit, due to my slight obsession with eating chilli peppers and chiili based sauces, and the there is the fact that I try to add a chilli to anything I cook.(much to Amy's annoyance)

I planted them in their little Coir pots 12 days ago and so far they haven't germinated. I'm slightly disappointed because it says they should germinate at approx 10 days. I'm not giving up hope and I'm sure I will see little green shoots appearing soon enough....hopefully!

I'm growing 5 varieties; Anaheim, Hungarian Hot Wax, Jalapeno, Tabasco and Demon Red and I'm really looking forward to seeing what they look like when they fruit and also tasting them of course!
If I'm successful then I'll turn it into a yearly hobby and move onto some of the more challenging ones!

I suspect the cold weather is the major factor in their lack of germination as it says in my instruction growing guide the optimum indoors temperature should be between 18 - 20C and our kitchen gets very cold, although I do have them in direct sunlight and have a little heater on in the kitchen during the day which should help.

I'll keep you posted with any developments!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

For seeds you really want a propagator (£2 from the garden center), or pop the plant pots into clear plastic bags, loosely tied, they will drip with condensation in about 20 minutes flat and the temperature will rocket...

Kev Brown said...

Cheers for the advice Fink! :-)